Tuesday, April 2, 2013

In Which I Lament Last Night's Late Loss


04/01/2013
Cardinals 2 Diamondbacks 6



Before I address our dear birds and their winning play,  I have a few other parties to address. 


First: Arizona

There's this nifty thing called daylight savings time that all the cool kids are doing. I admire the boldness it must take to remain in standard time, but daylight time offers some glorious benefits-- like extra hours of sunlight in the evening (which, now that I consider it, probably isn't something that desert inhabitants are too keen on). It is frustrating to wait until 9 PM for the first game of the season.  That leads to my second grievance...

Second: an Opening DAY game that starts at NIGHT!

 I know, I know-- "Opening Day" is  a term that denotes the start of the professional baseball season  and  doesn't necessarily mean that games are played during the day... but doesn't it feel a bit more like  renewal and revival--and all the other things Opening Day symbolizes-- in the afternoon?

Third: The moment you've been waiting for

Dear 'birds,

Well, the season started yesterday.  So there's that.  We did manage to score the first run. And, well.... yeah.  

I hope tonight's game is more inspiring and fun with less strikeouts and baserunning goofs. 161 games to go-- we'll win a one or two or a few over the course of the year. But I am sure that someone, after watching last night's game, thought this:

Image from stlcardinalsbaseball.com, a funny Cardinals blog. 
They are partly excused because the game ended at midnight, however, they have used one of their three "OUR SEASON IS OVER" meltdowns.  As a Cardinal fan, you should know to save all insensible meltdowns for August.

Til Later!


No comments:

Post a Comment