Tuesday, July 3, 2012

It was one of those "I'll believe when I see it" situations

07/02/2012
Rockies 3 Cardinals 9

Dear Chris Carpenter,

I hate to hear that you are undergoing surgery.  Honestly, though, I never did expect you back this year (I hoped you'll be back), so the news isn't as heartbreaking as it should be.

Not that I'm not disappointed.

You are Chris Carpenter.  I am going to miss the fierceness and competitiveness you show on the mound.  I love that. I hope you stick around and guide this team, and cheer them on.  They need you.  Without your speech last year at the end of August, the guys would not have been focused. You gave them a purpose. You motivated the team, you knew the words to say.  Let's not embarrass ourselves, you said, let's not embarrass the fans who believe in us and support us. That was something the team could handle: playing good baseball.  You didn't dwell on the fact that the team weren't mathematically eliminated and yet seemed far out of the pennant; you gave them another focus, instead-- winning ballgames one by one.

The good thing about knowing that you aren't going to be back is that we can now look for pitching help. It'll be interesting to see how Mozeliak goes about it-- will he get a starter and move Lance Lynn to the 'pen. (Joe Kelly will probably go to the 'pen when Jaime Garcia returns.) Or will he get a reliever?

Some words on last night's game:

Allen Craig. Kyle Lohse. That is all.

One more thing:  Allen Craig has great numbers and he has been on the DL a lot this year. Man can hit.

And another: Kyle Lohse has pitched very well this year.

'Til Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment