Thursday, March 8, 2012

Credo


This blog will contain more than letter-formatted posts.  I fancy myself a poet, so poems are inevitable. This particular poem is a sort of credo, containing things I believe in and exploring the contradictions of myself through a baseball motif.


Perspective: A Credo

If I ever root for the Cubs in this life, or any of my next lives, I'll go to Wrigley and hope
a drunk fan knocks me out for good with a fallen brick.  I believe in line drive hitters, ground ball
pitchers, the gray between the lines, winner's luck, a good defense, the pitch
that misses the sweet swing, sacrifices, honesty, and stealing
home.  I write to upset the cool businessmen in the party suite, and my words
are a salve for the fans scalded in the upper deck steam.  I am the victory
parade and the eight-game losing streak.  I don't think true love exists, but my soul
mate is going to be six foot two and handsome.  I am the dropped ball and the home run. I play
in shallow thinking and dive into the deep issues. I am the perfect
game and the ten earned runs. I love; but I fight
just as well.  I see the climbing baseball, the ball-busting catch, the opponent-spiking slide, and
my angle is off, my lens a bit dirty, my shutter too slow, but sometimes-- I think I get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment