Thursday, March 22, 2012

Strikkkkkʞkʞkeouts are Fascist!

Jaime Garcia had nine strikeouts today, striking out two batters looking-- which is apparently why scorers use backward k's.  I always thought it was just arbitrary..."oh, let's shake up this line of K's and write this one backwards," but alas, it appears nothing in baseball is without reason.  (Now whether that reason makes good and proper sense is another story.)

It's only Spring Training, but winning ballgames is a great habit start in March.  The Redbirds have now won five straight!  They had been doing that annoying flirt 'get a game over .500 and lose the next day' bit I especially hate, but now they have a 11-6-1 record.  Really, though, your spring record has no correlation at all with the regular season, but at least the players leave the field feeling happy.  I know if I were a player and I had lost a game, the rest of my day would be ruined.  Even if it's only spring training.
Today's game was beautiful baseball.  I liked the team that played today-- great hitting (But only one hit for extra bases and thirteen singles today, which is only great if they come in bunches or if you have a fast runner on who'll steal his way into scoring position), great pitching (only four hits allowed and  thirteen strikeouts, all by left-handers), and smart baserunning.  Gorgeous. 

Here's a fun video from the great movie Bull Durham when Crash (Kevin Costner!) tells Nuke (I don't know who this is, and I'm too lazy to google it.)  that strikeouts are fascist.

No comments:

Post a Comment