Monday, March 19, 2012

Thnks Fr Th Mmrs

Dear Albert, also known as:
"El Hombre"(an alias you've never actually assumed),
"Phat Albert," "The Machine,"
"Prince Albert" and "The Mang,"

Minute Maid's train
I will always remember that October night in 2005
when baseball fans coined the term "Lidged,"
for epically blown saves.
through Minute Maid Park, over the Crawford boxes,
and onto the railroad tracks.
Three runs scored, and the Houston crowd was so silent
I bet they heard the dirt fall from your cleats
as you step on home plate.  They had been so loud
that the TV crew kept mentioning the decibel level, marveling
at each new high.  After the umpteenth update I had wanted something
to steal the breath from the crowd, and was thinking of all the ways
I would break that infernal meter myself.  The louder
that crowd became, the more desperation replaced
hope in my heart and the louder the disbelief and doubt
pounded between my ears, but your home run restored my world.
I had Cardinals baseball for one more night.

In 2009, you hit five grand slams.  My favorite
was during this game against the Mets.  That game was a thrill
because the team had just done the impossible
against K-Rod-- scored not only one, but two runs to force
extra innings.  The only problem 
was it occurred shortly after that long, crazy
15 inning game against the Dodgers.  My nerves
couldn't handle another one of those games so soon.  You
saved my sanity with those insurance runs.

Last summer you stroked a double
for your 2000th hit.  As you stood on second, fighting
tears and acknowledging the crowd, I bet you could hear
how the crowd's congratulatory applause sounded
an awful lot like "please stay."  

You didn't stay.  I was relieved
that the Cardinals hadn't signed you to a ten year deal.  Relieved
because I wouldn't have to watch you at forty, hobbling to first
on a grounder to third.  There will be only good moments
for me to recall, spectacular memories to smile and mull over.

I am happy I saw you play ball
for eleven historic years.  And I am sad that there are only
eleven years of memories.  I am sad that your 3000th hit
and 500th home run won't come in a Cardinal uniform.
It would have been the perfect
story, wouldn't it?  It would've been sweet
if you had continued your starring role in St. Louis-- the city embraced
you because you so fully embodied our beloved team-- playing
for the fans who watched the central role you held in the Cardinal
memories formed since your debut.

In December, this letter would've only said:
Thnks fr th mmrs & good rddnce, #@!%! 
I feel no ill will now, and there's only this left to say:
Thanks for the memories, and good luck!

Good Bye.







No comments:

Post a Comment