Monday, June 4, 2012

But They/We Scored a Run (It's almost like a victory)

"I hate losing more than I even wanna win."
-Brad Pitt as Billy Beane in Moneyball
06/03/2012
Cardinals 1 Mets 6

Dear Redbirds,

Another day, another loss.  When is it going to end?

I've noticed that during this VERY HORRIBLE stretch, I have been confused about whether to us they or we when referring to the team.  I'm still mostly using we (yes, grouping myself in with losers), I think.

Some people hate when fans say "we."  I like "we."   It means you support the team, you are (hopefully) there through the winning streaks and the losing streaks.  People say we when they identify with the team, when they have accepted the team as part of their identity.  Is it harder to accept a team that is losing as part of your identity?  Or do you stick with the we during losing streaks because you see the traits that can make the team special?

I really hope the Cardinals figure this out.  I hope we are still within striking distance at the All-Star Break.

It is never easy.  It wasn't easy last year, either.  I don't think we were ever under .500 last year, though.  Actually, we were 4 games under on April 9th, 2011.  Last year was a tough summer (August was ugh), but we were still over .500.  We definitely can't have a bad August this year, we don't have enough early season wins to support a failure like that.  We are at .500 now a third of the way through the season.  Where will we be when half the games have been played?  Hopefully we start trending upward.  And soon.

I watched Moneyball last night.  Maybe we'll go on a winning streak like the 2002 Oakland A's!

Til Later

No comments:

Post a Comment