Saturday, June 9, 2012

I was going to watch the Belmont Stakes

06/08/2012
Indians 6 Cardinals 2

Dear Cards,

I'll get to last night's game, but first:

I have been looking anxiously awaiting the arrival of  this Saturday ever since I'll Have Another won the Preakness.  Unfortunately, I'll Have Another is injured which basically means that I won't be watching the Belmont.  I won't lie.  I was only going to watch because of the Triple Crown aspect of the event in the first place.

I can't imagine how disappointing it is for everyone involved with I'll Have Another.  His jockey was an unknown named Mario Gutierrez, do you know what winning the Triple Crown would have done to his life?  He'll still have plenty of offers and opportunities, but it'll have been something for him to put  "Triple Crown Winner" next to his name.  Mario Gutierrez has been great through this whole ordeal, nothing but class since crossing the finish line at the Kentucky Derby to yesterday when he praised, expressed gratitude, and showed concern for I'll Have Another.  I wish him the best.  

Mario Gutierrez will ride the (very gorgeous) chestnut today. They will lead the post parade (and then sit out the race, obviously).

And I wish I'll Have Another the best in horse retirement.  It was a thrill watching you race. 

Back to our regularly scheduled Cards' nervous breakdown:

  • Jaime Garcia is the most recent Cardinal to bite the dust, so may he rest in peace.
He joins a whole host of Cardinals on the DL. We could field a pretty good team with all the guys on that list: Berkman, Carp, Jaime, Skip, Baby Carp, Jon Jay, Kmac...

Joe Kelly, Memphis' best starter, will pitch tomorrow.  I said this before, but I really mean it now: we have culled Memphis of it's talent. (Well, Shelby and Ryan Jackson are still down there, though).
  • Speaking of laying people to rest, should we now declare the Cardinals dead? 
 It's only June, I know. They aren't mathematically out of it, I know.  Shoot, I was here all last season, I witnessed the Zombie Cardinals (that should be a tee shirt! On the Front: I witnessed the Zombie Cardinals, subtitled 2011 World Series Champions. And the back of the shirt can list all the times we were sure they were "dead").  So this team may look down enough to declare officially dead, but as last year showed, don't count on it (I hope).  

Anyway, I'm declaring them officially dead until further notice.

Til Later.







No comments:

Post a Comment