Sunday, June 10, 2012

They're Still Dead

06/09/2012
Indians 0 Cardinals 2

Dear Redbirds,

You all are still dead.  Flat lining.  Doctors are trying to recover your pulse and all that jazz.

Just to clarify: You aren't dead to me because I'm a masochist. You're just obviously done for the season, understood?

Now tell me why this can't happen more than once in a blue moon:
  • A starter pitches 7 and 2/3 innings (GO KLo!), and we only use two relievers.  Why can't this happen every night?  Or at least most days a week?  Why can't our starters throw at least 7 innings each time they pitch? Why do I keep asking these questions? 
This is why you're dead, 'birds:
  • If the season ended today, you wouldn't even be one of the two wildcards, losers.
I love ya'll.  Really I do. All I have to do is turn on my television and you provide free (well, that's debatable-- costs me my sanity) entertainment. 

On guarding the heart and distancing yourself from the team whilst waiting 'for the other shoe to drop':
Sometimes I lose sight that that's all this is-- entertainment.  I do like being entertained.  I like giving my heart to a team, even knowing that it'll probably be broken a dozen (or a hundred dozen) times over the course of the season.  The price of deep love is the severe pain you feel when you're disappointed, and the reward is the indescribable thrill you feel when all your hopes and dreams are realized.

This makes me think of how apathetic certain fan bases are when teams that have been bad for a few seasons begin a season well-- they don't want to get caught up again because they don't want to wind up with the broken heart when or if 'the other shoe falls.'

 Til Later

No comments:

Post a Comment